Priscilla helped her husband Aqulia to teach Apollos about spirit baptism because he only understood Johns Baptism. So, this would make Priscilla the first woman missionary. I wonder how many people they taught and brought to God. Priscilla was a great help to her husband. I don’t believe they stayed in one place for long periods. If you have the heart of a true missionary you will want to move from town to town. Priscilla has paved the way for many women missionaries . What if we didn’t have Priscilla to pattern ourselves after would we have any women missionaries.
Last night our ladies started our summer bible study series called Propel. This years topic is passion. We had our first session last night. It was very eye opening for me because the last few months God has reignited my passion to have a strong relationship with him. Sometimes I believe we can put our passion into other things that can strain our walk with him. I am excited to go through this series . After we watched the video to last nights lesson we broken down into groups and discussed the questions. It was a great time of discussion and growing.
“He is a barbarian, and deserves not to be called a man, who can look upon the sorrows of this fellow- creatures without drawing out his his soul unto them, and wishing, at least, that in the power of his yo help them.”(Doddridge.)
“It is the duty of every man to promote the happiness of his fellow-creatures to the utmost of his power.” (Biography on Wilberforce)
Our treatment of people should reflect a biblical standard, not a personal preference.
33. When a foreigner resides among you in your land , do not mistreat them . 34. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself , for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.
17. For the Lord your God is God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts accepts no bribes.
18. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing.
How should we live?
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28. bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
29. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them.
30. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
31. Do to others as you would have them to you.
32. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who live them.
33. And if you do good to those who are good to you , what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that.
34. If you lend to those from whom you expect repayment , what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners , expecting to be repaid in full.
35. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. . Then your your reward will be great, and you will be like the children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
36. Be merciful, just as your father is merciful.
Statement by Quakers, Society of Friends in Philadelpha (1754)
“To live in ease and plenty by the toil of those who violence cruelty have put in our power was incompatible with Christianity.” (Biography on Wilberforce)
The reality is this: Slavery continued to exist because people wanted to buy sugar without an increase in price.
So how do you treat the immigrant.
To live in ease and plenty by taking advantage of others is offensive to God.
Encouragement from John Wesleyto Wilberforce.
“unless God has raised you up for this very thing, you will be worn out by the opposition of men and devils, but if God be for you who can be against you. Are all of them together stronger, than God? Oh, by not weary of well-doing.” (Biography on Wilberforce)
Hebrews10:25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but not encouraging one another- and all the more as you see the Day approaching.niv
There are many people that don’t believe you need to attend church because they don’t believe they need to be with other believers. When we assemble with other believers we encourage each other in the faith and help each other grow. We are approaching a day where people are less and less interested in assembling to be fed Gods word. We use excuses on why we no longer attend church. When we forsake assembling together we can not gain strength from one another and we become dry in our spirits. I am so glad that I found a new church home that I can assemble with other likeminded believers.
” I will not fly from the post where Providence has placed me” (William Wilberforce)
” The best preparation for being a good politician as well as a superior man in every other line, it to be a truly religious man.”(William Wilberforce)
We have biblical convictions that apply to politics?
1Cor1-3 1.If I speak in tongues of men of men and angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2. If I have a gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.3 I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but not love, I gain nothing.
Love must Win!
1. Even if you have something to say… Without love… You will not be heard.
2. Even if you have a solution… Without love… You will not be received.
3. Even if you the means… Without love… You not win.
” In my opinion the strength of a country is most increased demand by its moral improvement and by the moral and religious instruction of its people,”(William Wilberforce)
Eph4:15 Instead, speaking truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.
Who do we Obey as a Christian in America?
Acts4:19 But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges!
Acts5:29 Peter and the other apostles replied:” We must obey God rather than human beings!
1. Authority is established by God.
2.Disobedience to Authority will have consequences.
3. Evil Authority doesn’t let me off the hook-conscience.
4. How to have a clean conscience owe to no one!
“Am I truly religious? Is the love of God the governing principle of my life! Do I walk under the sense of His presence? Do I converse with him from day to day, in the exercise of prayer and praise? And am I, on the whole, making my service my business and my delight, regarding him as my master and my father?” (Phillip Doddridge.
We start a new series tomorrow called “American Church”. It will be a series that it will be intense and life changing. The first message in the series is called Love must win. I can’t think of a better Sunday to start a Series like this than Pentecost Sunday where the church was birthed.
We finished our study in Genesis this past Sunday. This study has helped me to grow so much . The last study in this series is called Digging Wells.
Genesis 12:10-13, Genesis 26:1-8,17-25
Nobody gets through this life without testing.
” God tests us to bring out the best I us. Satan tests us to bring out the worst in us-Warren Weirsbe.
Perseverance is kin to the Christian experience.
John 16:33 ” I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Faithfulness to God will be rewarded.
Galatians 4:28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Issac, are children of promise.
John 4:10 Jesus answered her, “if you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”
Psalm 90:1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations.
Summary Abraham and Iisac were both me who faced the trials of faith and believing God ; we know their names and their story because of their faith. In our Christian life, through success and failure.., we can continue to seek Jesus . Like Issac continued to seek the promise by digging wells during opposition, so we can seek after Jesus who gives the water that never runs dry regardless of any obstacles.